Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Online Literature Games

Some kids love to read while others have no interest. Obviously, kids who struggle with reading don't always want to read, but there are lots of kids who are good readers who just plain don't enjoy it. 

I was the kid who was a good reader, but didn't want to sit still that long.  I read for information only, and still do to a small degree. I enjoy good books when I am reading them, but I also want to finish the book the same day I start it...not always possible! I think lots of kids tend to "watch" the movie rather than read the book. 
Kindle readers are so popular right now. I wonder what impact they have made on furthering the reading movement. There are great speech-to-text readers for kids who struggle, which makes reading more enjoyable. Something that can encourage reading is having your student play literature games online
 Getting kids involved in books is key. There are awesome free educational games available for books like Harry Potter, Gulliver's Travels, Matilda, Ramona, Where the Wild Things Are, David Copperfield, 1984, Romeo and Juliet, and many more. Not only are games fun, but they help kids remember. How many times did you study for a test only to forget what you learned just one short week later? 
Games are an easy way to sneak in a little learning without kids realizing it, and they are super for right-brained visual learners.

                     Get your game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment