Thursday, June 19, 2014

Homeschool Trends

People homeschool for as many different reasons as there are homeschoolers. Some of the more common reasons include being bullied at public school, religious reasons, health, dedicated sports such as ice skating or horse showing, the need for a more challenging curriculum, safety issues, learning difficulties, and the list goes on.

Homeschool trends in the last several years confirm one main reason for homeschooling, dissatisfaction with public schools. As a public school and private school teacher, who turned to homeschooling, I can wholeheartedly agree with the reason.

My daughter attended private Christian school for three years and while it wasn’t perfect, she was nurtured and learned in a safe environment…she was happy. She attended public school, or tried attending public school three different times, once in first grade, once in third grade, and once in eighth grade. All three times were a disaster.

My daughter has CAPD, ADHD, and dysgraphia. The public school has programs in place to help children like her, but they failed her each time. She received virtually no help from them. She had teachers who told her she would never learn to read and that she was slow or lazy. As a teacher, I was SHOCKED that a teacher would actually say those things, but indeed they did. One of her junior high teachers commented, in a very derogatory way, about the fact that she was homeschooled.

Homeschooling has been the best decision we could have ever made. I no longer have a child who is under huge amounts of stress and suffering from panic attacks. That alone makes homeschooling worthwhile for us. My daughter has thrived and grown in a safe environment, and no, she is not a social misfit.

What’s your reason for homeschooling? Can you identify with my situation? How’s homeschooling working for you? Please share with us all.

1 comment:

  1. We started homeschooling because I got fed up with a situation in public school. We continued homeschooling because I realized it was the best thing for my kiddos....and I discovered that I was extraordinarily selfish with their time. I wanted as much of it as I could get! :)

    ReplyDelete